A Renowned Law Firm Leading the Legacy of Excellence
In an interview with Business Brainiac, Akil Hirani, the Managing Partner of Majmudar & Partners gave some insightful answers highlighting the influences made of his firm, proficient service offerings, founding ideals, winning prestigious honors, current and future perceptions. With extensive experience, Akil has spearheaded his legal legacy with par excellence and bestowed its clients with top-notch successful legal upshots.
1. Kindly Brief Us about Your Organization.
Majmudar & Partners (formerly Majmudar & Co.), established in 1943, has evolved into one of India’s premier law firms representing the who’s who of banks, companies, and financial institutions. Having offices in Mumbai, Bangalore and New York, and integrated network offices in Chennai, Hyderabad, and New Delhi, it services clients nationally and internationally.
Majmudar & Partners’ national team of close to one hundred (100) lawyers provides high-quality and seamless legal services. Most of our lawyers have international work experience and have been recognized as leaders in their field. We are structured on the lines of an international law firm, where each lawyer is on a partnership track. The best-known personalities of the firm are its managing partner, Mr. Akil Hirani; senior advisor and partner, Mr. A. K. Hirani; partner, Mr. Rukshad Davar; partner, Mr. Neerav Merchant; partner, Mr. Amrit Mehta; of counsel, Mr. Fraser Alexander; tax counsel, Mr. Ravishankar Raghavan; and Bangalore office partner, Mr. N. Raja Sujith.
Mr. Akil Hirani, who has been in practice for more than twenty-seven (27) years, is admitted in India, England & Wales and California (currently inactive), and oversees the firm’s transactional, regulatory, and finance practice groups. Mr. A. K. Hirani, who has been in practice for over forty (40) years, is a specialist in banking and real property law. Mr. Rukshad Davar is a leading corporate/M&A partner with international deal experience at Jones Day’s former Indian affiliate and heads the M&A practice group at the firm. Mr. Neerav Merchant is a highly recommended company/commercial and dispute resolution lawyer. Mr. Amrit Mehta has expertise in corporate/M&A, private equity, contract, and employment law. Mr. Fraser Alexander is a senior banking and commercial litigation lawyer. Mr. Ravishankar Raghavan is the counsel of the tax and private client practice. Mr. N. Raja Sujith is a foreign investment, corporate, technology, and employment law specialist, and heads the Bangalore office.
2. Describe the Journey of Your Organization Along with a Track Record in the Legal Market.
Please incorporate by reference the points mentioned under 1 above. We have evolved from a domestic law firm to a sophisticated cross-border focused law firm in the last 20 years. We work with many large and medium-sized international and local corporates, banks, and funds. Today, in the Indian legal market, we are considered as a solid law firm, which does not compromise ethics. Our firm stands out for partner-led delivery of legal advice with a full focus on achieving the commercial or business goal. This coupled extreme responsiveness has made us a sought after firm for clients who need high quality and high-value services in tight timeframes.
3. Apprise Us in Detail about Your Areas of Specialization.
Inbound investments into India, corporate/M&A, restructuring, competition, securities, banking, and corporate finance, private equity and venture capital, fund structuring, tax, technology, media and telecommunications, employment, projects, infrastructure and energy, biotechnology, outsourcing, IP, distribution, real property, and disputes are the main practice areas of the firm. We are one of the few Indian law firms to have created an industry focus. We specialize in the following industries: (i) financial services and insurance; (ii) pharmaceuticals and life sciences; (iii) technology; (iv) manufacturing and industrial; and (v) consumer and retail.
4. What Is Majmudar & Partner’s Difference in the Legal Market?
- Majmudar distinguishes itself from its competitors primarily on service quality and professionalism. Majmudar’s attorneys work closely with each client to understand the practical aspects of the client’s business. In this way, legal problems are analyzed from a business perspective, and clients are given sound and practical legal advice and services.
- Majmudar’s skills are particularly suited to the needs of those clients who demand speedy and specialized professional services.
- Majmudar provides bulge-bracket services in a boutique setting and is a one-stop-shop for all legal requirements of clients and partner-led attention is given to every matter to ensure the thoroughness and detail that is required in complex transactions.
- A majority of Majmudar’s partners have international work experience, and Majmudar is structured on the lines of an international law firm.
- Majmudar is one of the few law firms in India that has full-service tax capabilities and offers end-to-end advice on matters ranging from large complex M&A deals and complex litigations/arbitrations to the minutest of legal/operational issues.
5. Tell Us about Your Organization’s Achievements and Accomplishments.
- Our managing partner, Mr. Akil Hirani, has been inducted into the Hall of Fame by Asia Pacific Legal 500, having been recommended as a Leading Individual within Corporate and M&A for the last 13 years.
- The firm is the winner of the “2020 Indian Law Firm Awards” presented by India Business Law Journal (IBLJ) in the categories of “Insurance and Reinsurance” and “Labour and Employment.”
- The firm is the winner of the “Lawyers Worldwide Awards Super Lawyers 2020” in the category of “Employment Law Firm of the Year – India.”
- The firm is the winner of the 2020 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award as “Franchise Law Firm of the Year in India” and also “Investment Structuring Law Firm of the Year in India.”
- The firm is the winner of the Lawyers Worldwide Awards 2019 as “Banking and Finance Law Firm of the Year.”
- The firm had also won the 2019 Corporate International Magazine Global Award as “Investment Structuring Law Firm of the Year in India” and the Corporate Insider’s 2019 Business Excellence Awards as “Banking & Finance Law Firm of the Year – India.”
- The firm is a winner of Finance Monthly Legal Awards 2019 in the category of “Insolvency & Restructuring – Law Firm of the Year – India.”
- The firm is the winner of the 10th Annual GLE Awards 2019 in the category of “Investment Structuring Law Firm of the Year in India.”
- The firm won the Silver Award for the “Best Indian Law Firm 2019” at the prestigious International Legal Alliance Summit & Awards event held in New York in June 2019.
- Majmudar & Partners has been ranked in the Top 30 Indian law firms of RSG Top 50.
6. What Is Your Plan of Action to Tackle the Challenges in Terms of the COVID-19 Crisis, Changing Recent Trends, Market Players in the Legal Market?
The Covid-19 pandemic has led to an unprecedented economic and social impact across industries, and the uncertainty will continue for some more months until an effective vaccine is found and mass-produced.
Majmudar & Partners is a technology-first law firm. This has helped the firm in seamlessly transitioning to a work from home environment. Having a very flat structure, the Covid-19 crisis has actually helped the firm’s members bond very well across the board.
Majmudar & Partners believes that the Covid-19 crisis is actually a huge opportunity. Distress abounds and therein lies the potential for distressed M&A deals, which the firm is increasingly seeing. Technology and data privacy are becoming very important, and the firm’s technology and data privacy practices are booming. The pharmaceutical, life sciences and the healthcare sectors are witnessing significant traction. Employment law is also a huge area, especially with layoffs increasing. Contract law advice also continues to be busy.
As the firm is nimble and agile, and the firm’s members are used to a multidisciplinary practice structure (as opposed to being super-specialized), the firm is coping very well in the crisis. The future trend in the law firm space will be that of nimble and agile firms, who can quickly give practical advice to clients.
7. Where Is Majmudar & Partners Heading Towards? Brief Us about the Future of Your Organization.
Majmudar & Partners has been in the trade for more than 75 years. It will continue to grow its key practices with lawyers of the right quality.
About the Featuring Leader
1. Enlighten Us about the Leader of Your Organization and His Influence Focused on Attaining Excellence.
Managing partner, Akil Hirani, is one of India’s leading lawyers and on par with India’s eminent lawyers. In the Indian Lawyer 250, he has been described as “a prodigy” by sources who have tallied his achievements to date against his youth. He is admitted to practice in India, England, and California, and is one of the few Indian attorneys to have international qualifications in two major legal jurisdictions. He brings in more than 27 years of experience. Akil does public and private M&A including mergers, business transfers, and stock deals. He blends top-tier international skills with superlative Indian law acumen. His sector expertise is in financial services, insurance, and technology. His clients include Pelliconi, CIGNA, and many others.
Akil’s key practice areas are corporate/M&A, finance, technology, tax, and funds. Having practiced for more than 27 years, he is more broad-based in what he does. This also emanates from having grown up in a legal environment in the 90s when the law firm market in India was very nascent and law firm sizes very small. He is routinely called upon by his clients to advise them on India’s strategy, both legal and business-oriented. This work is immensely challenging and interesting.
- Akil Hirani has been inducted into the Hall of Fame by Asia Pacific Legal 500, having been recommended as a Leading Individual within Corporate and M&A for the last 13 years!
- India Business Law Journal has ranked Akil in the A list of India’s top 100 lawyers in 2019, 2018 and 2017.
- LexisNexis has ranked him in the Top 100 Legal Luminaries of India.
- Akil has been ranked as a leading lawyer for various practice areas by renowned legal publications like Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Asia Pacific Legal 500, IFLR 1000, and Asialaw Profiles.
- Akil has been nominated by his peers and recognized in the Who’s Who Legal 2020 edition as one of the thought leaders in the areas of banking, data (information technology, media, and telecoms), M&A and corporate governance.
- Akil has won Legal Era’s Young Achiever’s Award in the past.
2. How Do You Align Your Organization with Your Vision and Mission?
Frank discussions, transparency, and clear articulation of thoughts to all the stakeholders in the organization have helped me align the organization with my vision and mission.
3. Share a Piece of Valuable Advice to Legal Aspirants.
The formative years in the life of a lawyer are the most important ones. Find a good senior and stay with him/her for a while until you learn the ropes.